History

History

    In the late 1940s, the leadership of the United Baptist Convention of the Maritime Provinces became concerned about the young people who were leaving the region to train for vocational ministry and were not returning. In spite of the fact that the denomination had a university in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, there was an area of Christian education which was not being covered. In 1949, the United Baptist Bible Training School was founded in Moncton as both a Bible college and a high school. For the next two decades, young people came from all over Atlantic Canada to study in a Christian context and to live in a Christian community.

    Academic excellence very quickly became a hallmark of the new school, and many people gave sacrificially to expand the facilities and the programs. By 1968, the School was in transition as the emphasis changed to a post high school program, and eventually it became a Bible College and a Christian Junior Liberal Arts College. In 1970, the name was changed to Atlantic Baptist College to reflect the new programs.

    In 1983, the New Brunswick Legislature passed a charter granting Atlantic Baptist College, the right to offer baccalaureate degrees. Over a decade later, in 1996, the original Act of the Legislature was amended to change the name to Atlantic Baptist University. This was done to reflect the continued growth and development of the University as evidenced by the granting of degrees in a variety of disciplines, including Arts, Business, Education, Organizational Management, and Science.

    In 2008, and in 2010, slight amendments to the Act were made, first to extend the provision of degrees beyond the baccalaureate level, and second to change the name to Crandall University in honour of Joseph Crandall, who founded several Baptist churches in the greater Moncton area during the late 1800s. This new name was also presented as a way to more clearly offer an invitation to all students and supporters who were not from a Baptist tradition.