Alan Chan, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Economics and Business Administration
506-858-8970 ext: 125
Office: Murray Hall 219
Born in Hong Kong and finished education in Canada, Alan joined Crandall in 2005. He brings an international element to Crandall University. Alan has published a portfolio of articles in regional, national, and international journals and is one of the leading Christian Economists in the region. He sits as a director in the Atlantic Canada Economics Association and is actively involved in many professional, religious, and cultural organizations. He is also an adjunct professor with Mount Allison University in Sackville, NB and an honorary research associate with the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton. Alan is also recognized as a research affiliate with the Business, Economic, and Public Policy Research Center at Shue Yan University in Hong Kong. Alan has a contract with the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) as a leading researcher to study giving behaviors among Canadians. He is the recipient of the 2010 Crandall University Stephen and Elle Steeves Award in Service Excellence.
- 2005 Ph.D. (Economics), University of Western Ontario, Canada
- 1999 M.A. (Economics), University of Toronto, Canada
- 1998 Honours Bachelor of Science with High Distinction, University of Toronto, Canada
- EC1013 Introductory Microeconomics
- EC1023 Introductory Macroeconomics
- EC3013 Intermediate Microeconomics
- EC3023 Intermediate Macroeconomics
- BU1023 Business Mathematics
- BU1043 Business Statistics
- BU3313 Business Finance 1
- BU3323 Business Finance 2
- BU3603 Business Research Methods
- OM1304 Introduction to Statistics and Analysis using Statistics
- OM3313 Managerial Finance
- Law and Economics
- Economics of Religion
- Economics Modeling
- Chan, Alan, Fawcett, Bruce and Lee S. K. (forthcoming) “Church donation and attendance: An empirical study of Atlantic Baptists” Journal of Baptist Studies
- Chan, Alan (2011) “Five questions concerning Christians in workplace” Chinese Churches Today, Chinese Coordination Centre of World Evangelism, Hong Kong, August, pp.24-26. (Article in Chinese)
- Chan, Alan, Lee, S. K. and Yeung W. M. (2010) “Holistic Struggles, Judgmental Behaviors in work place: An empirical study of Hong Kong Christians”, Journal of Biblical Integration in Business, 13, pp.46-70.
- Chan, Alan, Lee S. K., MacDonald Robert and Woo, K. Y. (2010) “Does price really converge among provinces in Canada? A study using unit root tests for cross-sectional panels.” Journal of US-China Public Administration, Volume 7, Number 5, May, pp. 47-55.
- Chan, Alan and Lee, S. K. (2009) “Christ and Business Culture: Another classification of Christians in workplaces according to an empirical study in Hong Kong”, Journal of Markets and Morality, 12, Spring, pp.91-111.
- Chan, Alan (2009) “Microeconomic Applications to the Bible: an extension to Stamm’s arguments in 2001”, Christian Business Academic Review, IV, 1, Spring, pp.34-40.
- Chan, Alan (2008) “Teaching Microeconomics Principles in Christian Universities: toying an idea of a microeconomics text with religious applications”ACE journal, 39, pp. 30-39.
- Chan, Alan and Lee, S. K. (forthcoming) “Individual Religious Involvements in America across time” International Journal of Social Economic
- Chan, Alan and Lee, S. K. (forthcoming) “Education plans, Personal challenges and Academic difficulties: an empirical study on Self disclosure among post-90 teens in Hong Kong” International Journal of Youth and Adolescence
- 2010 Stephen and Elle Steeves Excellence Award in Service, Crandall University
- 2000-2005 University of Western Ontario Graduate Scholarships
- 2001-2003 University of Western Ontario Research Grants
- 1994-1996 Canada Scholarship for Natural Science
- 1994 University of Toronto Entry Scholarship
- 1994 University of Trinity College Residence Scholarship
- 2013-2015 Research Contract, Research Data Center, Social Science and Humanities Research Council, Canada
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Canadian Economics Association
- American Economics Association
- Atlantic Canada Economics Association
- Christian Business Faculty Association
- Association of Christian Economists
- Association of Christian Economics-UK