This program was created to provide an academic base for those students interested in future service in a different culture. Students will gain knowledge of diverse cultures and peoples, an understanding of overseas missions and development, and language learning skills. The program will culminate in a short-term trip overseas, providing a first-hand cross-cultural experience.
The Cross-Cultural Certificate is normally taken concurrently with a baccalaureate degree at Crandall University. This program is particularly applicable for those considering occupations in or relating to these areas:
- Relief and Development
- International Business
- Teaching Overseas
Students interested in applying to this program would normally do so in their first or second year of degree study. Applications can be obtained from the Assistant Registrar for Professional Studies and must be submitted by October 15th. Admission to the program will be based on several criteria including demonstrated academic ability and maturity, interview and reference input, and a clear interest in future overseas service. Where the applicant is interested in service with a Christian organization, strong Christian character will be considered as well.
All students must complete the following:
- SO2133 – Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
- SO2143 – Life Cycle and Kinship
- ID/RS2873 – Introduction to Global Missions
- CO/LI2023 – Linguistics II
- ID/SO4863 – Cross-Cultural Internship
Choose two courses from the following cognate courses:
- PH/RS2733 – Survey of Eastern Philosophy
- ID/RS3153 – Christian Spirituality
- BI3013 – Environmental Issues
- PS/SO3043 – Perspectives on Poverty
- CO3913 – Multicultural Communications
- SO3153 – Globalization and Current Social Issues
And any 2 language courses from the following list:
- Any modern language
- CO/LI2013 – Linguistics I
- TESL I or II
NOTE: Students interested in taking the Cross-Cultural Internship (ID/SO4863) may do so without being accepted into the Cross-Cultural Certificate program, however, they must have taken SO2133 and at least two of the three following courses: SO2143, CO/LI2023, ID/RS2873. It also needs to be noted that the courses required for this certificate are not offered every year.